I wanted to find a really simple way to make gift bags - no fuss, no mess. So I did a search on google for "how to make gift bags out of cardstock paper" and found this at Homemade Gifts Made Easy! This is truly the easiest craft project ever! All you need is a square piece of cardstock paper (I personally like the double-sided paper - it gives the bag a nice color contrast).
The instructions on the Homemade Gifts page are well done and easy to follow, but here's a quick summary:
1. Start with a square sheet of cardstock paper.
2. Fold the paper in half to form a triangle.
3. Take the right corner and fold it so it touches the edge of the paper.
4. Do the same thing with the left corner.
5. Take the inside of the top flap and tuck it into the outside bottom flap (this is a slight variation from the Homemade Gift site).
6. And voila! Gift bag complete.
I embellished the bags with floral fabric applique (available at craft stores) which added a nice decorative touch. All in a matter of 5 minutes. It doesn't get any easier than this! These would be great for party favors. My two-year-old enjoyed eating popcorn out of them. :)